Summary of Qualifications
Senior digital media product management and content production leader with 15 years building and orchestrating development of award-winning interactive multimedia and advertising experiences that touch millions of people. Skilled in developing from concept to launch high-profile content products that balance business growth with user experience. Proven leadership in Agile/Scrum methods, editorial production, and managing budgets and staff. Excellent eye for detail, design, and accuracy plus strong understanding and use of current trends and technologies.
EverSport Media (July 2015 – Present)
Building products and content strategy for growing sports media startup (eversport.tv) with a leading platform for streaming live paid and free sporting events to global audiences, sports leagues and teams. Reporting to the Chief Product Officer, I have been involved in all aspects of the business from partner management, live event operations, and developing next-phase content strategies to increase and engage users.
- Leading development of “smart embed” product, which enables third-party websites and mobile apps to easily host an array of EverSport video content and metadata. The embed is currently in use by Pac-12 Networks, Big Sky Conference, Dew Tour, and in the past year has been used by hundreds of other sites around the world delivering well over a million streams to EverSport video.
- Developing strategy and project plans to expand EverSport content offering, redesign website and smart embed, and build user management services.
Verizon/OnCue (formerly Intel Media), Santa Clara, CA (March 2013 – June 2015)
Lead Product Manager, Content & Interactive Media
Leading a team of PMs and content strategists in curation and interactive content efforts, plus development of a robust CMS to power OnCue’s television and video services (acquired by Verizon, Jan. 2014).
- Early advocate and leader of Agile/Scrum methodologies, which has improved product development efficiency, transparency, and predictability across the company.
- Developing “New Channels” strategy and implementation bringing digital content to the platform.
Coupons.com, Mountain View, CA (July 2012 – March 2013)
Sr. Product Manager, Advertising, Content & Social Products
Conceptualized and delivered the company’s content strategy and next-generation advertising products. Focused on user growth and engagement through content creation, curation and social media.
- Conceived of and brought to market new custom advertising packages with modern IAB standard ad units and native advertising, new ad inventory, plus custom and branded content.
- Developed user engagement strategies by evangelizing and implementing concepts such as content programming, social media integration, SEO, original content creation and curation, and building templates and modules adaptable for varying front-end contexts.
- Played an integral role in the company’s 2012 site redesign, a foundational format change.
Yahoo! Inc., Sunnyvale, CA (2010 – 2012)
Director of Product Management, Custom Branded Experiences
Product management leader for Yahoo’s global “Tentpoles & Anchors” events initiatives and Americas region Custom Branded Experiences team. In 2011 we delivered nearly 100 content-focused, branded microsites, and more than $75 million in revenue from the world’s top advertisers.
- Drove development of large-scale entertainment & news experiences including Tom Hanks’ “Electric City,” the Clinton Foundation’s “A Decade of Difference” concert, Yahoo News’ 2012 elections, Yahoo’s Year in Review, the 2012 Olympics, and Yahoo’s Royal Wedding site.
- Led development and launched cutting-edge web and mobile sites, templates and modules for US and international audiences, with advertisers including Procter & Gamble, Purina, Unilever, Ford, and more.
Tonic Inc., Palo Alto, CA (2008 – 2010)
Editor & Director of Content, Tonic.com
Helped launch Tonic.com, a “good” news and cause-based website. Responsible for editorial strategy, content operations, and global editorial staff producing daily, original content for Tonic.
- Worked with CEO and president to define company’s strategy and set aggressive content, traffic and other company goals. Built content strategy, team of editors and dozens of freelancers, including staff of writers producing exclusive daily feature stories and blogs.
- Led product and content planning around events including the 2009 Clinton Global Initiative.
- Developed content partnerships with The Huffington Post, Treehugger, Triple Pundit, and more.
Yahoo! Inc., Sunnyvale, CA (2004 – 2008)
Sr. Product Manager, Yahoo! News
Played a leading role in transforming Yahoo! News into a premier media brand and multi-million dollar business while establishing Yahoo not only as a content aggregator, but as a well-known content creator.
- Led development efforts of original content and special multimedia projects and partnerships including 60 Minutes on Yahoo! News, Kevin Sites in the Hot Zone, The 2008 Democratic Presidential Candidate Mashup, and more that brought record audiences to the site.
- Created and maintained the first comprehensive streaming news video strategy, and roadmap for product and platform development. Developed the site’s video offering into a multi-million dollar business that topped 140 million streams per month.
- Part of small team that conceived of and launched the first sponsored microsites and custom ad-supported programs for the Yahoo! Media Group.
TechTV, San Francisco, CA (2000 – 2004)
Lead Online Producer
Duties included managing and leading a team of web producers, TV reporters and writers for TechTV’s most popular web destinations and companion TV shows, and also managed “Tech Live” news website.
- Created and managed content and video relationships with Yahoo!, ABC News, and others.
- Served as writer, reporter and editor producing daily news and features across TechTV.com.
- As a television writer and producer, played a key role in a daily, live technology news and debate program. Duties included writing show scripts, line production, research and reporting, and more.
Previous Relevant Experience
- Editor, Click Magazine, Menlo Park, CA (1999-2000)
- Assistant Editor, staff writer, Metro Newspapers, San Jose, CA (1997-1999)
- Freelance writing & product management consulting, various (1997 – present)
Awards and Honors
- Cal Poly Journalism Department Advisory Board member
- 2013 Webby Award honoree for Tom Hanks’ “Electric City” website, and “Cybergeddon,” created by Anthony Zuiker and Yahoo!.
- 2012 Webby Award honoree for Clinton Foundation “A Decade of Difference” live concert website.
- 2011 Webby Award honoree for Yahoo! News Ask America, US midterm elections website.
- Yahoo’s Kevin Sites in the Hot Zone awards included: National Press Club Award, best website 2007; Webby Award for best news video site (2007); TIME Magazine (2006) 50 Coolest websites.
- 1999 California Newspaper Publishers Association (CNPA) General Excellence award.
- Winner of two 1998 CNPA awards for Spot News and Community Service journalism.
- Recipient of a “Laurel” from the Columbia Journalism Review for an investigative article exposing waste from Cal Poly university agriculture programs and its impact on San Luis Obispo’s watershed.
- President, California Intercollegiate Press Association (CIPA), 1997. Organized annual convention for hundreds of journalism students and faculty featuring San Jose Mercury News reporter Gary Webb as keynote speaker.
- Editor-in-chief of Cal Poly’s Mustang Daily newspaper, 1996-97.
- Winner, 1997 Glen Smith Award for excellence in journalism, the top award of Cal Poly Journalism department. Winner, Cal Poly Journalism Department Head Award for leadership.
- Certified Scrum master, Pragmatic Marketing certified
- SEO and SMO strategy and implementation
- Building and extending capabilities of various content management platforms including Drupal, WordPress and other custom systems.
B.S., Journalism (News & Editorial), California Polytechnic State University, San Luis Obispo, CA.
I enjoy time with my family and anything that takes me outdoors including surfing and hiking.